Friday, August 5, 2011

Recharging in Nanning

Recharging in Nanning, literally and figuratively. The foster
parents, their current foster daughter (private foster arrangement,
not through the orphanage), their son and their nephew (who texted on
his iphone on the walk to the restaurant like any other teen), checked
into the hotel this morning for two nights to make it easier to spend
time together. But without Matthew the translator, we're out of
commission until dinner time as far as communication, but the
conversation at lunch was fun as they told me stories about YuYu's
toddler hood. They even told me that in 2006, when I let them take
YuYu and Nora for the afternoon (and boy did I get some harsh
responses from other parent reading the blog that I was taking
unnecessary risks and that they were going to hide YuYu from me,
people, come on, hide her where?) to give me a rest, that Nora slipped
them her Guilin foster parents phone number so she could call them.
They can't remember what she said, but it is fun to know that Nora was
acting independently at 4.5 yo to get past the new mean mom.

This is the first time in five trips to China that anyone with the
last name of Hanson got in a swimming pool. I don't know why we
didn't swim in 2001, we were here in the summer, but the girls had fun
today and don't you love the caps? No rentals, had to buy them, 80
yuan, so now they have to wear them all the time at home so I can get
my money's worth out of those caps. Also, check out the pool rules.
I'm thinking a implementing these rules at the Hanson pool in the near
future, so don't tell me you weren't on notice when you try to bring
your guns and explosives to the pool or if I ask you to leave if I
find that you have spit or defecated in the pool area. You've been
warned.

No comments:

Post a Comment